18 June 2004

Dress Me Up in Pink and White

So I said I'm a snowball running
Running down into the spring that's coming all this love
Melting under blue skies
Belting out sunlight
Shimmering love


Soooooo I had this all typed out three separate times believe it or not, all ripping into prissy little people and stuff, cos I was all like sure this is great because it's awesome, and then my browser went all wonky (yes engineers, that is a technical term, look it up assholes), and then blogger gave me this whole error thing the second time around when I went to publish and I was all like, bastages! So it brings me to tears since I have no idea what I typed the first two times. Alas, I'll start over the same at least. (P.S. check the new comments on the previous entry)
So yeah, it's a bit mooshy or whatever, but more importantly it signals the lyrical god Adam Duritz's return from ho hum world. Not to say that he always blew hardcore or anything, or even has recently for that matter, in fact I'll be the first to say that I drastically underestimated his newest album as too mellow, which it may be to some. And at the time the alt rock world was puttin out some heavy artillary like The Vines, who I must admit are pretty damn sweet, but I took it as a disappointment when added to DMB's great demise of sucktasticness known as Everyday (thanks Glenn Ballard for fucking up Aerosmith, too). But this guy spent most of his adult life in a haze of drugs and alcohol and more importantly depression, not necessarily related to the other two, and still he came out smellin like roses half the time and usually with some sweet, tight-ass lookin' eye candy on his arm (cough, cough Courtney Cox). Oh, but he had to go and get himself cleaned up while his best guitarist/mandolin player went to some Buddhist convent or some shite out in California (wtf! who does that?). So once he was all off the sauce and ditched his meds and got his head cleared, he went over to Europe and mainly Amsterdam to write a new album (wtf! off the sauce in Amstredam, seriously, who does that?). On second listen though, the album has to be one of the more clear cut and concise, yet heartfelt ones he's put together. Extremely genuine, albeit there are still a few strands of depression in there, but the whole thing lacks in the anger that used to permeate it. It's just honest. And then this summer blockbuster hit and got rave online reviews and dl's, the only thing that could make me a bit more content... the end of pop culture as we know it. I'm not trying to say that all mainstream bands are inferior or can't rock hard, just look at the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Vines, The Strokes, Matchbox 20, Coldplay. I happen to think (and as we all know my thoughts are infallible and therefore you should all jump on my bandwagon) that its better to have one hard core rocker who thinks he sucks struggle to make music and find it appreciated, pouring out his life into that music, than have same rich little punk-ass dick-lick who's all prettied up to make up for the fact that he has no talent and who the moment his fans no longer like his music is willing to change genres to stay on top of the charts (cough Justin/Britney). Where's the passion in that. So I will leave this entry with a bit more of the divinity it started with (though I am god so these are all pretty much sparkly and holy and shite, oh believe it! I am filled with Christ's love!).


"I can write good songs. I can sing 'em, and I mean it, I mean it deeply, and I pour everything into that. Other than that, I suck." --Adam Duritz

No comments: